2023 Trustee Election
3 seats on Flathead Electric Co-op (FEC)’s Board of Trustees are up for election in 2023. Trustee seats up for election are currently held by:
- Duane Braaten – District # 6 (West Valley, Marion)
- Jerry Bygren – District # 8 (Bigfork)
- Terry Crooks – District # 9 (Libby)
Per Article VI, Section 3 of the FEC Bylaws, any person shall be eligible to become or remain a trustee who:
- Is a member of the Cooperative and is not otherwise disqualified;
- Maintains primary residence within the district they represent; and
- Is a natural person.
Review the FEC District Map.
Per Article VI, Section 4 of the FEC Bylaws, a member shall not qualify for the office of trustee or shall become disqualified to serve as a trustee if:
- The member has been an employee of the Cooperative for any length of time within the immediately preceding 7 years;
- The member or trustee, including a member of their immediate family is, or becomes, an employee of the Cooperative;
- The trustee fails to attend 2 monthly meetings of the Board in a calendar year without approval of the Board;
- The member or trustee has a conflict of interest which includes but is not limited to situations in which the member or trustee:
- Is employed by, is an agent of, or is an immediate family member of an employee or agent of the Cooperative;
- Is employed by or materially affiliated with any other Trustee;
- Regularly and directly competes with the Cooperative or any entity that the Cooperative controls or in which the Cooperative owns a majority interest;
- Owns an interest greater than 10% or holds a management position in a business wherein more than 10% of the goods or services sold are sold to the Cooperative or one of its subsidiaries, or combination thereof.
- The member or trustee has been declared incapacitated or of unsound mind by a final order of the court;
- The member or trustee has been convicted of a felony;
- The member has an immediate family member who is currently serving as a trustee.
- Upon determining that a trustee is holding office in violation of any of the foregoing provisions, the Board shall immediately remove such trustee from office upon written notification to the trustee of the basis for disqualification.
- Upon determining that a member is disqualified from serving as a trustee, the Nominating Committee shall immediately notify said member in writing and provide the basis for disqualification.
- Nothing contained in this section shall affect or shall be construed to affect in any manner whatsoever the validity of any action taken at any meeting of the Board.
Interested parties should carefully review the following FEC Board Policies to ensure they can meet the expectations of serving as an FEC Trustee:
- FEC Board Policy “B” Duties and Responsibilities of the Board of Trustees (PDF)
- FEC Board Policy “C” Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct (PDF)
FEC trustees must be willing and able to give the time to prepare for and attend monthly and other meetings of the Board; state, regional, and national association meetings; and trustee training and education. The following sample calendar outlines the typical annual commitments of a trustee. This list is not all-inclusive, but intended to give an idea of the schedule:
- FEC Trustee Meetings and Events Calendar
Each FEC trustee is expected to attain their Credentialed Cooperative Director Certificate (CCD) within 18 months of being elected.
How to Run for Election
Nominating petitions are due no later than March 13. Eligible candidates will be added to the ballot. Completed nominating petitions require:
- 25 signatures from Co-op members who also live in the candidate’s district;
- A high-resolution photograph to be used on the ballot insert; and
- Candidate’s biography (100 words or fewer) to be used on the ballot insert.
To obtain a nominating petition, or with questions, contact our Executive Assistant.
Candidates will have the opportunity to give a three-minute speech to the membership at the Annual Meeting on April 22. Mailed ballots will go out April 20 and electronic ballots will be available on April 24.