Flathead Electric Co-op 101
The mission of Flathead Electric, a not-for-profit, member-owned cooperative, is to provide competitive and reliable services, achieve the highest level of member satisfaction, and enhance the quality of life in our communities.
Our Co-op By the Numbers – Updated July 2022
- Founded in 1937 – Celebrating 85 Years in 2022!
- Montana’s largest electric cooperative and second largest energy utility
- 90/100 2021 American Customer Satisfaction Index score
- 56,000+ Members in the Kalispell, Libby, and Cooke City areas
- 72,000+ Meters
- 5,014 total miles of energized line, over half of which is underground
- 2,132 miles of overhead lines (10.63 miles of overhead lines eliminated in 2021)
- 2,882 miles of underground lines (71.42 miles of underground lines added in 2021)
- 156 employees
- 9 Trustees
- 0% overall rate increase for 4 years in a row
- 97% carbon-free fuel mix, of which 80% is renewable, carbon-free hydropower
- Our Roundup for Safety program is funded by members who voluntarily round up their bills to fund community safety projects proposed by nonprofit. As July 1, 2022, members have contributed $4.5M+ towards 1,200+ community safety projects, over 25 years!
Helpful Pages on Flathead Electric Cooperative’s Website
On our Outage Center page, you can find the most current information about power outages anywhere in our service area, and sign up for text message updates, too! This page also has lots of helpful information about how to report outages and what to do during an outage. Remember: never, ever touch a downed power line – if you want to survive, assume it’s live!
On our Who We Are page, you’ll find links to learn more about our Co-op’s business model and history, along with information about our fuel mix, our concern for community, and the issues we’re interested in. Need a statistic, a photo, or B-roll? Want to set up an interview or ask a follow-up question? It’s all there.