Winter storms can cause power outages. Here's some things to think about as you prepare for winter storm outages.
Winter storms can bring damaging winds that knock power out at the same time they send temperatures dangerously low. Flathead Electric, your member-owned, not-for-profit electric cooperative, wants you to stay safe and be prepared for winter storm outages. As hard as we work to keep power reliable, storms and outages are a reality of living in Northwest Montana. You should have a backup plan in case of a prolonged power outage.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself before the next winter storm:
- Do you have a backup heat source?
- Do you have a plan to keep pipes from freezing?
- Do you have extra water stored where it won’t freeze?
- Do you need a backup power source, such as a generator?
- Is someone in your home dependent on life support equipment?
- Can you take care of your animals during a winter power outage?
For more information on how to prepare your family for power outages, visit our Outage Preparation page.