Here are a few tips from your electric Co-op to prepare your home for an extended time away.
Whether you’re going over the mountains and through the woods to see Grandma for the weekend, or snowbirding in the Southwest for several months, you’ll want to prepare for your absence. Here are a few tips:
- Sign up for automated outage texts to stay in the know about any power outages that may happen at your home or business while you’re gone.
- Have a friend or family member on call who can help secure your property if the power does go out. Catching an outage quickly can prevent frozen pipes or spoiling of frozen/refrigerated foods.
- Close your fireplace damper to prevent warm air from escaping!
- Save energy while you’re away by lowering your thermostats. Consider turning off your water heater. Unplug unneeded small electronics like robot vacuums, TVs, and computers, and turn off ceiling fans.
- If you have a different winter address, let your Co-op know so we can change your mailing address while you are away. Better yet, go paperless and have your bill emailed to you! You’ll receive a $0.50 bill credit each month when you go paperless. To go paperless, log into your online account, visit “My Profile,” click “Update My Printed Bill Settings,” and turn the printed bill slider to “off.”