Your Co-op is seeking 100 Electric Vehicle (EV) owners to sign up for our EV Charging Assistant pilot program, which begins October 1. We’re partnering with a utility management company called Bidgely to help us manage the electrical demand put on our system by EV charging.Request to Participate
What’s in it for you?
- $25 Gift Card – Bidgely will give you a $25 reward just for signing up!
- Chance to win FREE electricity – By participating, you have 6 chances to win a free month of electricity! Each month, October 2023 – March 2024, one of the 100 participants will receive a month’s worth of electricity (up to $500) through a randomized drawing.
- Avoid high demand charges on your bill – The EV Charging Assistant will automatically make sure you only charge your EV outside of Peak Demand Hours (M-F, 7-10 a.m. and 5-8 p.m.). This means savings for you, as you won’t have to worry about your EV contributing to your demand charge.
How the program works:
- After you’re accepted and your vehicle is connected to the EV Charging Assistant, you can be hands-off. The Assistant will take care of charging your vehicle during off-peak hours.
- If you need to override the Assistant to charge during peak hours, you can easily do so. However, each time you override the program, you take a “strike” for the month. If you incur three strikes in one month you’re ineligible for that month’s prize drawing. Your “strike” counter will reset the next month.
- The EV Charging Assistant will also occasionally ask you to avoid charging during certain times when your Co-op expects major stress on the grid. Again, it’s your option, but if you choose to charge during that time, you’ll also receive a strike.
- Your monthly bill will highlight your estimated savings from the EV Charging Assistant program – likely up to $25 each month, depending on the size of your battery and how you charge.
- The EV Charging Assistant will optimize charging for your EV’s battery, which is likely to extend its life cycle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our area’s electrical grid benefits when any member (not just an EV-owning member) shifts their demand for electricity to off-peak demand hours. That’s because when the Co-op purchases power from its wholesale power provider (Bonneville Power Administration) during peak demand hours, it pays more than it would during off-peak hours. The EV Charging Assistant program supports the goal of keeping electric rates affordable by purchasing less power overall during peak demand hours, benefiting the entirety of the Co-op.
That’s totally okay! You have full control to override the program. You simply take a “strike” each time you override the EV Charging Assistant. After 3 “strikes” in one month, you will not be eligible for that month’s drawing for free electricity. But not to worry! You can try again next month.
It’s three strikes you’re out. You will only lose out on your chance for that month’s free electricity if you have 3 strikes for that month. Having two strikes only won't impact your chance to win for that month at all.
Plug-in hybrid vehicles will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The program is limited to the first 100 EV-owning residential members to sign up.
Nope! Every month is a new chance to win, even if you’ve won before.
Not exactly. The Bidgely platform is a web-based application, so you use it via your phone or web browser, but it is not an app that you download from the app store. Participants in the program will receive emails from Bidgely to assist them with setting up their vehicles for the program.
Nope! The EV Charging Assistant is wirelessly connected to your Co-op's system.
Thanks for filling out our form expressing your interest in this program. You’re not registered just yet – we still need to verify your eligibility. The EV Charging Assistant program is currently limited to 100 members. Once you’ve applied, you will hear from us via the phone number or email that you provided. The program does not begin until October 1, 2023.
Questions on this program? Reach out to your Energy Advisor:
Distributed Energy Specialist