How to prepare for an outage
As hard as we work to keep power reliable, storms and power outages are a reality of living in Northwest Montana. Having a back-up plan in place in case of a prolonged power outage should also be a reality for those of us who live here. While FEC understands the sense of urgency experienced during an outage, it’s not always feasible for crews to respond immediately to every area impacted, so please be prepared. Consider the following questions:
- Do you need a generator?
- Do you have extra water?
- Do you have flashlights and batteries?
- Do you have a backup heat source?
- Do you have a plan to keep pipes from freezing during winter outages and food from spoiling during summer outages?
- Do you have provisions for the needs of your animals?
- Do you have problem trees near power lines that need removed?
- Do you have alternative provisions if you rely on electricity for medical purposes?