The purpose of this section is to clearly outline the requirements for the installation of poles and overhead wires. Flathead Electric Cooperative (FEC) requires most line extensions to be installed underground; however, some instances warrant extending power overhead. Guidelines in this section must be followed. Any deviation from these requirements must be approved by FEC prior to construction. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of the installation. Please contact FEC at (406) 751-4483 and ask for the distribution design department with any questions.
Right-of-Way for Overhead Extensions
- It is the member’s responsibility to clear a right-of-way 15 feet on either side of the proposed line for all overhead line extensions.
- Any required clearing in proximity to existing FEC overhead primary lines shall be done by FEC right-of-way personnel or FEC right of way contractors.
- Tree trimming around proposed location of secondary lines is the member’s responsibility.
- Once a right-of-way has been established the FEC distribution designer will stake all pole and anchor locations.
- FEC crews will need access for trucks and trailers to all pole locations.
- Pole holes in extremely rocky areas may need to be supplied by member per FEC distribution designer’s specifications.