Flathead Electric Co-op reminds the public to practice electrical safety

In May, electric cooperatives across the country promote safety awareness to coincide with National Electrical Safety Month. Every year, thousands of accidents occur due to shock hazards, and Flathead Electric, a not-for-profit, member-owned cooperative, is committed to educating the public about potential electrical dangers in the home.

Many home fires occur when electrical equipment is outdated or improperly used. In 2015, 1,345,500 fires were reported in the U.S., a 3.4% increase from 2014, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).

It is critical that the public understands their home’s electrical system and the safety concerns associated with the latest residential technologies before bringing them into their homes. With newer technologies, such as solar panels, electric vehicles and more electrical gadgets in the home, people need to be well educated and make sure to have an electrical system that’s compatible with the increased load.

To raise awareness of the importance of electrical safety, Flathead Electric provides safety demonstrations in area schools and at other public venues. In 2016 alone, the Co-op reached upward of 1,500 students at 25 local schools. Through electrical safety awareness and education, we can all play a part in preventing electrical hazards and injuries in the future.

For more information visit Safety & Education.